Metric Halo Discussion Forum
The place to talk MH!

Home   Search      Help    Register    Login
Home » Hardware » Interfaces » Integer mode
Integer mode [message #85225] Mon, 09 January 2012 11:10 Go to next message
Caiman is currently offline  Caiman
Hello everyone and hello BJ, happy new year to all. I hope that moving to FLA works without a glitch. I have a question concerning Mac OS X Lion and integer mode.
Is it official that Lion does not support integer mode playback at all?
I am in the process of putting a system together and would like to know which operating system, either Snow Leopard or Lion, to use on my forthcoming MacMini. It is to feed a LIO-8 via Firewire. Is there a definitive answer or better yet a specific MH recommendation with regard to operating system or software player choice for optimal sound quality?

[Updated on: Mon, 09 January 2012 11:18]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Integer mode [message #85226 is a reply to message #85225] Thu, 12 January 2012 23:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bj is currently offline  bj
Hi Caiman,

It appears to be the case that Integer Mode has been removed from Lion. We have filed a bug with Apple, but it came back as "Behaves as intended" so it appears that, as things stand, Apple does not intend to re-enable integer mode in Lion. If you want to use integer mode, you'll need to stay on Snow Leopard.

As far as players go, we have not evaluated the various players for differences in quality or fidelity.

Best regards,

B.J. Buchalter
Re: Integer mode [message #85227 is a reply to message #85226] Fri, 13 January 2012 11:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks BJ. Do you think that integer mode is worth the trouble, so to speak?
Re: Integer mode [message #85228 is a reply to message #85227] Fri, 13 January 2012 13:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bj is currently offline  bj
Well, I can tell you that do a FW loopback in the MIO (e.g. you Set the direct out of DAW 1 strip to FW 1) and compare the signal coming back to the signal being sent to the unit, it is exactly the same for both floating point mode and integer mode. So, Integer Mode does not have any effect on any of the parts of the stack that we (Metric Halo) have control over. The being said, it is possible that the DAW or Playback app is doing something different between Integer and Floating point transport, so it is *possible* that there is a difference. But I would submit that if there is a difference, it means that the app in question has a bug somewhere. 24-bit Integer is exactly and losslessly representable in32-bit float.

Best regards,

B.J. Buchalter
Metric Halo
Re: Integer mode [message #85229 is a reply to message #85228] Fri, 13 January 2012 13:39 Go to previous message
Fair enough, thanks again.
Next Topic: How to Setup Phono using LIO-8
Goto Forum:

[ PDF ]

Current Time: Fri Jul 25 21:02:48 EDT 2014