Metric Halo Discussion Forum
The place to talk MH!

Home   Search      Help    Register    Login
Home » Software » ChannelStrip » Production Bundle: Non-iLok version wanted (Who doesn't use iLok?)
Production Bundle: Non-iLok version wanted [message #85464] Fri, 28 September 2012 05:27 Go to next message
barrettisgold is currently offline  barrettisgold
I personally avoid products that use iLok for a number of reasons:

1) Most of my work is location based, so my primary machine is a laptop. Lack of USB ports and a dongle hanging out is a nuisance and another thing to worry about.
2) I have a iLok on my office computer for some audio library software. It is always such a headache updating the iLok and putting new licenses on. At our studio we have maybe six computers with iLkos on. Every engineer/composer loathes the system and it wastes so much time upgrading and messing around with licenses. Half the time the iLok manager system doesn't recognise the iLok is plugged in.

I would love to upgrade from my +DSP license and Channelstrip 2 license to the new Production Bundle. However, I won't be upgrading if it uses the iLok system. I already spend enough time upgrading, updating and maintaining software.

Channelstrip 2 is great, I just install on my work machine and it's good to go.

I'm interested if anyone else finds iLok a pain and would be interested in Metric Halo releasing a AU Production Bundle that doesn't require a dongle to be plugged in? I know many uses theie MH interfaces in the field as well as the studio. Perhaps it appeals more to these guys. I understand this is a security measure and wonder if there is a better system in place where a dongle is not needed, as I know some don't like the challenge and response method.

Your thoughts would be welcomed.
Re: Production Bundle: Non-iLok version wanted [message #85470 is a reply to message #85464] Fri, 05 October 2012 08:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well I guess it's just me! That's a shame as I would like to get the production bundle without any need for a dongle.
Re: Production Bundle: Non-iLok version wanted [message #85471 is a reply to message #85470] Sat, 06 October 2012 15:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
pounce is currently offline  pounce
I don't mind the ilok at all really. I already have it, and numerous plug ins I use regularly are already on there - which is to say ill be using an ilok for sure. It just makes moving between the studio machine and the laptop easier.
Re: Production Bundle: Non-iLok version wanted [message #85472 is a reply to message #85471] Sun, 07 October 2012 09:11 Go to previous message
Cool, I'm glad it works well for you. What would be neat is if iLok brought out a SD card version that could work on Mac laptops. Then it would be tucked out of the way.

That still doesn't solve the issue I have experienced with transferring licenses and updating drivers via iLoks web interface.

Anyway...I'm verging on a post that should be in the iLok forum. The idea was to see if people would like non-iLok version of the MH Production Bundle.
Previous Topic: Channelstrip 3 and AU
Next Topic: delay parameter
Goto Forum:

[ PDF ]

Current Time: Sat May 30 20:47:11 EDT 2020