Metric Halo Discussion Forum
The place to talk MH!

Home   Search      Help    Register    Login
Home » Hardware » MIOConsole » ULN-2 3d... Any way to mute AES clock output when no audio?
ULN-2 3d... Any way to mute AES clock output when no audio? [message #87241] Wed, 17 July 2019 15:09 Go to next message
dave999z is currently offline  dave999z
Hello -

My powered monitors are supposed to automatically go into low power sleep mode after a certain period of receiving no signal. The problem is that when I connect them to my ULN-2 via AES, even if my host app is not sending any audio, the ULN-2 continues to send a clock signal through the AES (Edge) output. The monitors receive that clock signal, and never go into low power mode.

Is there any way to have the ULN-2 not send a digital clock signal unless it is also sending a digital audio signal?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

David
Re: ULN-2 3d... Any way to mute AES clock output when no audio? [message #87273 is a reply to message #87241] Wed, 14 August 2019 10:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Any feedback?
Re: ULN-2 3d... Any way to mute AES clock output when no audio? [message #87275 is a reply to message #87273] Wed, 14 August 2019 14:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bj is currently offline  bj
Hi David,

I am not aware of any AES device that actually does this. As AES is often used for clock, it would be highly disruptive to interrupt the AES stream simply because the audio in the stream was silent.

It would seem to me that this something that the speakers should implement (e.g. if they sleep after getting no audio for some time, they should be able to distinguish between AES with no audio vs. AES with audio), since the speaker has already implemented the logic for it's low power mode - making it dependent on no physical signal rather than no audio signal seems like an oversight.

In any case, implementing this would be quite involved and likely to cause problems under a wide variety of circumstances.

While we would be willing to consider such a feature, it would be something that would relatively low priority given the other things on our backlog and the complexity that would be involved.

If you would like us to keep track of this, it would be best to file a feature request via MIOConsole Help > New Feature Request...

Best regards,

B.J. Buchalter
Metric Halo
Re: ULN-2 3d... Any way to mute AES clock output when no audio? [message #87276 is a reply to message #87275] Wed, 14 August 2019 14:42 Go to previous message
Hey thanks for the detailed response. Understood. Genelec should sort this out!
Previous Topic: 7 3D releases and still no UNDO/REDO !
Next Topic: Host mixer channel clipping
Goto Forum:

[ PDF ]

Current Time: Wed Dec 11 01:42:44 EST 2019