Metric Halo Discussion Forum
The place to talk MH!

Home   Search      Help    Register    Login
Home » Hardware » Interfaces » ethernet cable and kernel_task (cpu usage)
ethernet cable and kernel_task [message #87881] Mon, 25 January 2021 12:38 Go to next message
neon74 is currently offline  neon74
Hello,

I follow a discussion published in gearslutz about kernel_ task with ethernet cable and 3rd card.("metric-halo-3d-here-30")

The ethernet cable unplugged my kernel-task consume 3.2 % of my cpu but when i plugged the cable it jumps to 17% (more than 20% sometimes).

It seems that this problem doesn't occur with usb connection, but i have 2 metric halo connected via ethernet, so i need this mode.

Is there any solution to manage this relatively high pourcentage in thunderbolt mode?

Thanks for your answers or suggestions!

System
MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Mid 2014)
2,8 GHz Intel Core i5
16 GB
LIO4 and 2882
Re: ethernet cable and kernel_task [message #87882 is a reply to message #87881] Mon, 25 January 2021 14:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bj is currently offline  bj
The Apple Ethernet kernel driver uses that CPU to process the packets.

The things you can do to lower that CPU usage all have to do with reducing the number of packets processed by the Ethernet HW driver:

Reduce the number of MHLink I/O channels; halving the channel count decreases the packet rate by half as well. So if you set MHLink to the smallest number of channels that will support your needs, that will help.

The other thing you can do, if you are dedicating the specific Ethernet port to MHLink is enable the use of Jumbo packets - this will also reduce the Packet rate and CPU load, but potentially at the cost of higher latency.

Documentation for how to utilize Jumbo packets is available here:

https://mhsecure.com/3d_Early_Access/release_notes/pb7.html# s14
Re: ethernet cable and kernel_task [message #87885 is a reply to message #87882] Thu, 28 January 2021 10:47 Go to previous message
neon74 is currently offline  neon74
Thanks BJ for your answers!
Both of your recommendations are working: kernel consume 6-7% less cpu than before.
Have a great day!
Previous Topic: 2882 3D USB or USBC ?
Next Topic: Portable Interface
Goto Forum:

[ PDF ]

Current Time: Thu Mar 04 01:24:05 EST 2021