Metric Halo Discussion Forum
The place to talk MH!

Home   Search      Help    Register    Login
Home » Software » SpectraFoo » Headphone Output Routing (Need help routing to the built-in output.)
Headphone Output Routing [message #86147] Tue, 07 October 2014 16:18 Go to next message
bmvj is currently offline  bmvj
I've been a foo user for quite a while and haven't ever been able to output my signal generator to my headphone output. I've set my CoreAudio device to "Built-In Output" but all the shows up in the routing window is internal channels. I can route to external interfaces easily but not to the headphone jack, so every time I want to generate a test signal I have to get out my interface... would rather not.

Anyone else have a clue more than I do?
Re: Headphone Output Routing [message #86222 is a reply to message #86147] Sat, 01 August 2015 10:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rabyn is currently offline  rabyn
Until a routing solution is found, you can render out audio files of your chosen signals and play them in Itunes or some other audio playback app. Inside the Signal Generator window, there is a button called FILE.

index.php?t=getfile&id=110&private=0

Select FILE and you can render out an audio file for the duration you set and the signal you have previously configured.

index.php?t=getfile&id=113&private=0

ra byn (robin)
Re: Headphone Output Routing [message #86223 is a reply to message #86147] Sat, 01 August 2015 15:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bj is currently offline  bj
It seems like we can't route out if there are no input channels in the device. The work-around for this is to create an aggregate device of the built-in input and built-in output using Apple's Audio Midi Setup App (In /Applications/Utilities/Audio MIDI Setup.app). Setup the Aggregate like:

index.php?t=getfile&id=116&private=0

Then launch SpectraFoo, and select you new aggregate device as the audio device.

In 'Foo set up the "Analyzer Control & Routing" like:

index.php?t=getfile&id=117&private=0

e.g. make sure that Out 1 and Out 2 are set to "Internal 1 and Internal 2".

Then the signal generator will come out of the built in output.

Best regards,

B.J. Buchalter
Metric Halo

[Updated on: Sat, 01 August 2015 15:43]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Headphone Output Routing [message #86535 is a reply to message #86223] Tue, 20 June 2017 13:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cbrock is currently offline  cbrock
Any tips for those of us using the standard version without the signal generator function? I'm able to configure the audio/midi setup as above, but it's just picking up the audio from the built in mics, not the output signal.

thanks,
Craig
Re: Headphone Output Routing [message #86536 is a reply to message #86535] Wed, 21 June 2017 02:19 Go to previous message
bj is currently offline  bj
Apple makes it very difficult to monitor the output of the computer. You may be able to capture and route the output of the computer for 'Foo with SoundFlower. Otherwise, we recommend using a digital hardware loopback.
Previous Topic: Spectrafoo upgrades
Next Topic: spectrafoo level meter issues
Goto Forum:

[ PDF ]

Current Time: Wed Jul 15 04:45:20 EDT 2020