Metric Halo Discussion Forum
The place to talk MH!

Home   Search      Help    Register    Login
Home » Hardware » Interfaces » Connecting 2 ULN-8 with each other ( How to connect 2 ULN-8 without using 2 FW?)
Connecting 2 ULN-8 with each other [message #86557] Sat, 19 August 2017 03:54 Go to next message
rockdamakiuu is currently offline  rockdamakiuu
I´m absolutely new here. (not my first language).
I have a question which has already been asked quite a few times(i´m shure about that, but i´m not able to find the post).
How can I connect 2 ULN-8 with each other without connecting each device via firewire to my MAC. My speakers are connected to the first ULN-8. That means i have to sent everything from the second ULN-8 to the first. Otherwise i cannot hear anything. I´m sending the stereo sum from the second device via AES / EBU to the first. In advance I have created an aggregate device, so that the DAW recognised a main device.
There must be a better solution. Has anyone a guidance or manual for this? Maybe even an manual how to configure the MIO Mixer.

Thanks a lot in advance!!!

Re: Connecting 2 ULN-8 with each other [message #86558 is a reply to message #86557] Sat, 26 August 2017 22:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tomg is currently offline  tomg
Hi,

The routing within your MIO Console mixer looks right. I suggest you use the "identify box" command from the I/O control pane of MIO Console - to make sure that the ULN-8 #1632 is in fact the one connected to your monitors. I've attached a slightly revised version of your mixer as well as a screen shot of the identify box command within its dropdown menu.

You're gonna love using your ULN-8s!

Tom

Re: Connecting 2 ULN-8 with each other [message #86559 is a reply to message #86558] Tue, 29 August 2017 08:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rockdamakiuu is currently offline  rockdamakiuu
Hi Tom,

thanks a lot for your answer. ok, my problem wasn´t that the 1632 recognized the monitor. I just thought, to connect the ULN´s with the AES /EBU cable an send the stereo sum from the second ULN to the first, is not the "correct" way to cascade them. But apparently this seems to be the right way. I´m still not shure about the firewire connection. do i have to connect every single ULN via FW to my computer?
I cannot wait until the release the 3-D card.. Rolling Eyes

Thanks a lot,

Marius
Re: Connecting 2 ULN-8 with each other [message #86560 is a reply to message #86559] Tue, 29 August 2017 08:50 Go to previous message
tomg is currently offline  tomg
Hi Marius,

No, I usually daisy chain my Metric Halo interfaces via firewire, so while my main interface, a ULN-8, is connected directly by firewire to my imac, my second interface, a 2882, is connected by firewire to the ULN-8. I believe the interfaces are designed to be daisy chained like this - that's why they each have two firewire ports. Once connected, if both interfaces show up in MIO Console, you should hear audio. If you don't, then you can trouble shoot your mio mixer routing and physical audio connections between interfaces by just playing music from iTunes (ULN-8#1 DAW 1-2) and routing the audio signals. You could first confirm that your first ULN-8 is set up correctly. After that, you could change the mac system's sound preferences so that your second interface plays back audio (i.e., ULN-8#2 plays DAW 1-2). Once you've got the second interface playing back audio, try bussing or routing audio between the second and the first interface.

If you haven't watched the following video, it may help: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBG9-pl3h0I

Good luck trouble shooting!

Tom
Previous Topic: 2882 crashes when opened using Metacorder software
Next Topic: 2882 wordclock sync issues
Goto Forum:

[ PDF ]

Current Time: Thu May 28 00:59:47 EDT 2020