Metric Halo Discussion Forum
The place to talk MH!

Home   Search      Help    Register    Login
Home » Hardware » Interfaces » ULN8 in Standalone for Windows
ULN8 in Standalone for Windows [message #86693] Sat, 31 March 2018 12:36 Go to next message
Cflat96 is currently offline  Cflat96
Hey guys,

I have a ULN8 I use with a 2015 MacBook Pro. I'm building a windows pc for the studio and would really like to use the ULN8 with it. I was thinking I'd try a RME AES PCIe card and use the ULN8 in standalone mode.

Has anyone done this? Any information on how it works? I wouldn't mind using the MacBook Pro to control the ULN8 if I could get the best of both worlds and not lose functionality.

I'm just looking for suggestions and/or advice before spending $1300 on the RME card.

Thanks!
Re: ULN8 in Standalone for Windows [message #86694 is a reply to message #86693] Sat, 31 March 2018 17:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bj is currently offline  bj
This works well.

If you keep the Mac attached to control the box via Firewire, you definitely have the best of both worlds, as you have the full capabilities of the box.

If you don't want to have the mac attached, you can set up the routing between the analog and the AES and save a boot state -- that lets you use it as a standalone converter. Since you can control input selection, gain, and phantom from the front panel, you have a lot of the functionality without using the mac as a controller.

In addition to the RME card, you could consider the Lynx AES 16e; that is also known to work well, and it less expensive.

https://www.lynxstudio.com/products/aes16e/

There is a used one from JRR Shop for $299 right now:

https://reverb.com/p/lynx-aes16e-aes-slash-ebu-pcie-audio-in terface-card?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIj4ONi8KX2gIVzbjACh2f6QxmEAQYA yABEgJMy_D_BwE&hfid=1713918
Re: ULN8 in Standalone for Windows [message #86695 is a reply to message #86694] Sat, 31 March 2018 23:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Awesome! Thank you!
Re: ULN8 in Standalone for Windows [message #86845 is a reply to message #86695] Fri, 02 November 2018 21:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have a little update to my previous question. It might be a silly one, but I'm a little confused about something.

I'll be getting the 3D update for my ULN8. I know Windows drivers are not ready yet, but what will be my options for connecting the ULN8 to my pc with 3D? Will there be a better option than connecting to the AES16e pcie card? Will MH Link work for PC? One of the reasons I'm asking is that I'm considering making the switch over to PC and also wondering which edge cards, if any, I should order with the 3D upgrade.

Thanks!
Re: ULN8 in Standalone for Windows [message #86846 is a reply to message #86845] Fri, 02 November 2018 22:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cflat96 wrote on Fri, 02 November 2018 21:14
I have a little update to my previous question. It might be a silly one, but I'm a little confused about something.

I'll be getting the 3D update for my ULN8. I know Windows drivers are not ready yet, but what will be my options for connecting the ULN8 to my pc with 3D? Will there be a better option than connecting to the AES16e pcie card? Will MH Link work for PC? One of the reasons I'm asking is that I'm considering making the switch over to PC and also wondering which edge cards, if any, I should order with the 3D upgrade.

Thanks!

With Win10 you can use the ULN-8 via USB as a "dumb" converter, and you can use the front panel to change gains, S/R etc.

MHLink requires a custom driver for Windows which is not available yet.

AES will work, but routing needs to be established. With the current software that requires connecting a Mac to configure the routing each time the box is rebooted. In the near future we will re-enable the ability to set a boot state which would remove the need to use the Mac on each reboot, but will still require connecting the Mac to establish the boot-state.

Once we have MIOConsole and the driver running on Windows, you will no longer have any need to use a Mac.
Re: ULN8 in Standalone for Windows [message #86847 is a reply to message #86846] Sun, 04 November 2018 15:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for the quick reply!

As I mentioned in my earlier posts, I'm fine with using my MacBook to control MIOConsole while hooked up to the PC via the AES16e (or USB as you informed me) for now. My question was mostly in regards to the future when the Windows drivers are ready. But I think you answered my question by implying that MH Link will work with W10 when that happens, unless I read too much into your statement.

Thanks again
Re: ULN8 in Standalone for Windows [message #86848 is a reply to message #86847] Sun, 04 November 2018 15:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cflat96 wrote on Sun, 04 November 2018 15:10
But I think you answered my question by implying that MH Link will work with W10 when that happens, unless I read too much into your statement.

That's the plan.
Re: ULN8 in Standalone for Windows [message #86909 is a reply to message #86845] Thu, 10 January 2019 09:32 Go to previous message
kamel2500 is currently offline  kamel2500
Cflat96 wrote on Fri, 02 November 2018 21:14
FMovies YesMovies SolarMovie

Thanks!

With Win10 you can utilize the ULN-8 by means of USB as an "idiotic" converter, and you can utilize the front board to change gains, S/R and so on.

MHLink requires a custom driver for Windows which isn't accessible yet.

AES will work, however directing should be built up. With the present programming that requires associating a Mac to design the directing each time the crate is rebooted. Sooner rather than later we will re-empower the capacity to set a boot state which would expel the need to utilize the Mac on each reboot, however will at present require associating the Mac to build up the boot-state.

When we have MIOConsole and the driver running on Windows, you will never again have any need to utilize a Mac.

[Updated on: Thu, 10 January 2019 14:37]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic: Wordclock outs & MH LINK
Next Topic: Recording stereo signal from mixing desk's line out into ULN2
Goto Forum:

[ PDF ]

Current Time: Thu Jun 04 16:46:56 EDT 2020