Metric Halo Discussion Forum
The place to talk MH!

Home   Search      Help    Register    Login
Home » Software » ChannelStrip » Auto gain
Auto gain [message #86751] Fri, 22 June 2018 10:54 Go to next message
MatthieuTibi is currently offline  MatthieuTibi
Hello,

I'm having fun and experimentations in order to win time when doing doing the tv versions of movies I mix.

I'd like to use the auto gain like a kind of leveller.

But it's hard to understand how it reacts, it seems to depend on multiple factors like threshold, ratio, knee...

The manual is quite mysterious about that, and I don't neither understand the "7 dB" stuff....

Can you tell me a bit more about it ?

Thanks !
Re: Auto gain [message #86791 is a reply to message #86751] Wed, 15 August 2018 05:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bj is currently offline  bj
Sorry -- just saw this. I think the manual should say "-7 dB" not "7dB". Also, the -7dB offset does not apply to "MIO" mode.

The auto (makeup) gain is not a dynamic property of the compressor. It is a static property that is computed from the threshold, ratio, and knee (but not from the signal).

For MIO mode, it sets the internal makeup gain such that 0dB in gives 0dB out regardless of the threshold, ratio, and knee. The manual makeup gain is added to automatically computed makeup gain.

For the other modes, it sets the internal makeup gain such that 0dB in gives roughly -7 dB out regardless of the threshold, ratio, and knee; the additional padding is due to the fact that the other modes are not as "grabby" and the output signal is often above the level indicated by the curve. The manual makeup gain is added to automatically computed makeup gain.
Re: Auto gain [message #87374 is a reply to message #86791] Mon, 28 October 2019 15:16 Go to previous message
MatthieuTibi is currently offline  MatthieuTibi
Hello Bj,

Thank you very much for your answer, I've been very busy et forgot about it !!

Sorry and thank you !

Matthieu
Previous Topic: Switching to Windows
Next Topic: Sidechain Compressor in Channel Strip
Goto Forum:

[ PDF ]

Current Time: Sat Mar 28 16:30:59 EDT 2020