Metric Halo Discussion Forum
The place to talk MH!

Home   Search      Help    Register    Login
Home » Hardware » MIOConsole » Question: Aggregate Device MHLink
Question: Aggregate Device MHLink [message #87283] Sat, 17 August 2019 10:49 Go to next message
quintusii is currently offline  quintusii
I'm thinking about a solution for using the new MH-Link Ethernet connection to get rid of a long multicore.
The problem is how do I connect my headphones/monitors. One solution would be a second MH Interface.
Would it be advisable to use a Aggregate Core Audio device in terms of stability etc.?

Thanks!

Titus

LIO 3d, MacOS 10.12.6, ProTools 2018.12 Ultimate, Eucon, Reaper
Re: Question: Aggregate Device MHLink [message #87348 is a reply to message #87283] Sun, 29 September 2019 16:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OliverS34 is currently offline  OliverS34
quintusii wrote on Sat, 17 August 2019 10:49
I'm thinking about a solution for using the new MH-Link Ethernet connection to get rid of a long multicore.
The problem is how do I connect my headphones/monitors. One solution would be a second MH Interface.
Would it be advisable to use a Aggregate Core Audio device in terms of stability etc.?

Thanks!

Titus

Looking for similar help. Help i appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Regards,
Oliver
Re: Question: Aggregate Device MHLink [message #87349 is a reply to message #87348] Sun, 29 September 2019 21:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bj is currently offline  bj
Hi Titus,

Sorry that I missed your original post.

So the whole point of MHLink is that you don't need an aggregate device.

For your situation, the ideal solution would be 2 (or more) 3d boxes. You can put a long Ethernet run between the two boxes (up to 100 meters). The boxes the share a clock and mixer, and they appear to the computer as one CoreAudio device with no need for CoreAudio aggregates.

You place the second box near your mix position and it provides monitor and headphone outputs as well as inputs for talkback, DI, processing loops etc. The other box(es) are in your tracking room or on stage and provide your inputs and also provide outputs for cue mixes and other forms of monitoring for the musicians.

Since the boxes are connected with Cat5, they are galvanically (transformer) isolated, so you don't need to worry about ground loops or voltage offsets between your control room location and the tracking room/stage location.

[Updated on: Sun, 29 September 2019 22:02]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Question: Aggregate Device MHLink [message #87351 is a reply to message #87349] Tue, 01 October 2019 15:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
quintusii is currently offline  quintusii
Thanks bj,

I'm aware that this would be the way to go... but until I have the money to get another MH-link interface would an aggregate device work well during recording with the MH console?
Best
Titus

LIO 3d, MacOS 10.12.6, ProTools 2018.12 Ultimate, Eucon, Reaper
Re: Question: Aggregate Device MHLink [message #87352 is a reply to message #87351] Tue, 01 October 2019 16:22 Go to previous message
bj is currently offline  bj
Well, the RP in MIOConsole3d will only record from MH boxes (or through devices connected to MH boxes digitally). So an aggregate device won't help you there. Your only way of getting audio to/from both devices if one is not a 3d would be to use a digital interface (AES/ADAT/MADI).

Just in case you are not aware of the Early Adopter deal we are currently running, as a 3d Early Adopter you could get a ULN-2/3d for $995 right now; that seems like it would a really good way to accomplish your goals as described. You can still hook up your other interfaces via digital connections to either the LIO-8 or ULN-2 and thus aggregate that I/O into your 3d system...
Previous Topic: ULN8-3D no driver found - WINDOWS 10
Next Topic: Resources for MIO Console
Goto Forum:

[ PDF ]

Current Time: Sun Feb 16 20:48:44 EST 2020