Metric Halo Discussion Forum
The place to talk MH!

Home   Search      Help    Register    Login
Home » Hardware » MIOConsole » multiple headphone mixes (signal routing for live tracking in two separate rooms)
multiple headphone mixes [message #87289] Sun, 18 August 2019 18:44 Go to next message
grifftone
I have a studio with two separate buildings with lots of copper conductors running between, such as mic cables, coax video, and cat-5. I have two ULN-8s in the main tracking building, and a LIO-8 and a 2882 in the control room building. I'm running MHLink pb7. What's the best way of sending multiple independent headphone monitoring mixes for the talent ? It would be friggin' fantastic if there could be six separate stereo headphone mixes or more. Each mix would ideally have an individual non-latency direct path for each artist. Thanks a ton for any insight !
Re: multiple headphone mixes [message #87290 is a reply to message #87289] Sun, 18 August 2019 23:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bj is currently offline  bj
So you want to be able to provide monitor mixes to the performers in the tracking room that has the two ULN-8's?

With the proviso that control of the mixes needs to be done by the engineer (rather than the performers), this is simple to achieve with 3d.

Since the two ULN-8s in the tracking room have a total of 20 Analog outputs (8 mono outputs per box + 1 stereo headphone outputs per box), you can have a total of 10 independent stereo monitor mixes that can be driven directly from the 2 ULN-8s. Two can plug directly into the headphone outputs, and the other 8 can be driven directly from the analog outputs with the correct cabling (DB25 to 4 TRS Female). The mixes all are extremely low latency for all inputs to mix outputs.

Of course you can also have low latency monitor mixes that are sent to the LIO-8/2882 as well, for studio monitor and monitoring for overdubs/vocal both etc in your control room building.

Re: multiple headphone mixes [message #87291 is a reply to message #87290] Mon, 19 August 2019 01:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
grifftone
Thanks, BJ, for getting back with me - even on a Sunday ! Yes, I do plan to run several HP mixes in the two different rooms from the two MH boxes in each (including the control room). It's excellent news that so many independent stereo HP mixes are indeed possible. Given the flexibility of 3d/MHLink, what is the most elegant way to configure such a routing setup within MIOConsole ? Setup 10 stereo aux buses? Is there an existing tutorial on this ? I would MUCH rather the talent mix their own HP mixes, though ! Perhaps setup, say, 8 stereo stem groups within MIOConsole to send out to individual personal mixers at each musician's station. FWIW, I also have an Aviom A360 system that I used to run with my Yamaha DM-2000 mixer, but I haven't figured out how to integrate Aviom with my MIO system... yet.
Re: multiple headphone mixes [message #87292 is a reply to message #87291] Mon, 19 August 2019 01:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bj is currently offline  bj
Sure, you could create stems and send them to an external mixing system. I assume your DM-2000 had an Aviom card. We don't have any aviom interfacing support at this point. So you would have to get one of the Aviom line to Aviom devices to get the stems into your Aviom system. I looked to see if they have any digital input options but I can't find any. If they do have an ADAT input option, you could use a 4x ADAT edge card to get 32 distinct channels into your Aviom system

Obviously, having support for performers to be able to control their own mixes is something we see as a very useful feature. But at the moment, there is no way to give each performer direct access to control over their monitor mix; it is a future direction for us.
Re: multiple headphone mixes [message #87294 is a reply to message #87292] Tue, 20 August 2019 14:54 Go to previous message
grifftone
Yes, BJ, you are correct that I have an Aviom network card in my Yamaha DM-2000 console. I just now ordered an ADAT input card for the DM-2000 which I will connect to my X4 ADAT EdgeCard in my 2882. I believe this setup will provide 16 channels at 24/96 from EdgeCard -> DM-2000 -> Aviom network -> talent. Given this configuration, what's the best way to setup 8 separate headphone mixes within MIOConsole ?
Previous Topic: Host mixer channel clipping
Next Topic: Metric Halo and Mavericks
Goto Forum:

[ PDF ]

Current Time: Thu Aug 06 03:05:21 EDT 2020