Metric Halo Discussion Forum
The place to talk MH!

Home   Search      Help    Register    Login
Home » Software » SpectraFoo » Smoothing Curves (making it easy on the eyes (for clients))
Smoothing Curves [message #87523] Fri, 21 February 2020 07:56 Go to next message
mixingtones is currently offline  mixingtones
Is there a way to get smoothing on the frequency curves? Most software you can select something like: Resolution 1/24 1/3 oct.
Besides changing to a bar-version?
Re: Smoothing Curves [message #87524 is a reply to message #87523] Sun, 23 February 2020 09:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mixingtones is currently offline  mixingtones
maybe directly future request...
the PC-collegue uses TrueRTA (free).

What is nice on spectrafoo is that with center frequency you see what tone it is (112Hz = A2). But with TRTA you can see the dB level of the signal. That way can easily figure out how many db difference is between two places in the spectrum. Instead of following lines, checking the numbers and calculating the difference. Seems a bit guessing and slow.

After storing frequency curves, you can reload them and apply smoothing (non destructive). That result is often used in reports. Even offsetting to align them, is quite handy.

What also could be interesting, especially in the transfer function. Why not create a +/- dB setting in the center where the background change. That way you could set the margin at +- 2dB (as example) and if the transfer curve fits inside, you see in one second it is all normal. Not you have to 'count' the lines.

Above could be improvements on existing features.

Maybe measuring with a sweep could also be implemented. The signal generator is already present. Settings like fast weep - slow sweep (of in ms). Now with "Average" it can be done, but with an automatic Peak hold (I guess) it could be improved.

Functions not included in spectrafoo, or at least I haven't found them, are the STI/Clarity50, RT60/frequency, RT30, BR/TR levels. But that could be quite difficult, as it might be another ballgame.

Further I still like spectra foo. I know it from studio work long ago, now with live sound and room measurement it still is nice. Maybe with some changes, it could be one of the best on the Mac Platform!
Re: Smoothing Curves [message #87665 is a reply to message #87524] Tue, 30 June 2020 17:32 Go to previous message
bj is currently offline  bj
Sorry that I did not respond to this earlier; I just saw it.

SpectraFoo has numerical readout in dB for the level at the bottom of the window.

You can save and restore Snapshots - sound just like what you are describing. You can offset, smooth and invert for transfer function snapshots.

I like the masking curve idea.

You can measure with a sweep now both in the Spectragraph (using peak hold), and in the transfer function (using threshold).

The Acoustic Measurements are interesting, but probably will not be addressed any time soon, without a customer to drive it.
Previous Topic: SpectraFoo is waiting forever to start
Next Topic: Printed SpectraFoo manuals
Goto Forum:

[ PDF ]

Current Time: Thu Oct 22 08:29:45 EDT 2020