Metric Halo Discussion Forum
The place to talk MH!

Home   Search      Help    Register    Login
Home » Hardware » Interfaces » New Uln2 vs Old Uln8 Headphone Amp (Headphone Amp Quality)
New Uln2 vs Old Uln8 Headphone Amp [message #87982] Wed, 28 April 2021 20:15 Go to next message
johnfurbush is currently offline  johnfurbush
Hello,
I bought a new Uln-2 before covid for some live work (that went well). So now a year later I broke it out and have found the headphone amp to be very different sounding than my Uln-8. It has a much loser bottom end, borderline boomy by comparison. It's a little unnerving as I have used my Uln-8 for doing critical work when at home with headphones for years... Is there a difference??? My phones are lowish impedance, 55 and 32ohm. Did MH switch amps to drive high impedance headphones? Sounds like headphone damping. I know I should have bought a dedicated headphone amp years ago but thought that the uln8 sounded good...

I use Focal Clears and spot check with Grado SR125's.

Keep It Up!

[Updated on: Wed, 28 April 2021 21:14]

Report message to a moderator

Re: New Uln2 vs Old Uln8 Headphone Amp [message #87983 is a reply to message #87982] Fri, 30 April 2021 11:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I took the Uln2 and Uln8 into the studio and compared the monitor outputs/converters in the tuned room through Neumann kh310's and found them distinctly different. Again the uln2 was stronger and less defined in the low end, but not as drastic as with the headphones. Uln2 was thinner through the midrange, not better or worse but different. Really would have liked them to be the same or more similar. The older Uln8 definitely wins out as sloppy bottoms aren't good for anyone.

Keep It Up!

[Updated on: Fri, 30 April 2021 11:55]

Report message to a moderator

Re: New Uln2 vs Old Uln8 Headphone Amp [message #88002 is a reply to message #87982] Fri, 14 May 2021 14:03 Go to previous message
I bought a Grace m900 headphone amp for critical reference. I find that the Uln-8 converters and headphone amp are on par with the Grace. Different but not worse. We all need to know our own gear and how it translates. I just needed the peace of mind after hearing how different the newer Uln-2 was. I will not do any critical work with the Uln-2 ever. I may keep it for live recording using the Adat cards or sell it. Bummer!

Keep It Up!
Previous Topic: USB SCP + midi?
Next Topic: new MH interface or external preamp/converters
Goto Forum:

[ PDF ]

Current Time: Thu Jul 29 05:24:08 EDT 2021