Metric Halo Discussion Forum
The place to talk MH!

Home   Search      Help    Register    Login
Home » Hardware » MIOConsole » Computer doesn't recognize MH Link
Computer doesn't recognize MH Link [message #86990] Sat, 23 February 2019 21:10 Go to next message
objectgroup is currently offline  objectgroup
I have an LIO-8 with 3d card and USB works fairly well, but I need more than 12 channels. After installing the Link driver, I have attempted various ways of connecting the LIO, but nothing seems to work. I'm using a tested CAT6a cable direct to a Late 2013 27-inch iMac running Mojave 10.14.3. Anyone else experienced no Link connectivity?

[Updated on: Sat, 23 February 2019 21:12]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Computer doesn't recognize MH Link [message #86995 is a reply to message #86990] Sun, 24 February 2019 13:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bj is currently offline  bj
It looks like the MHLink driver is not loaded.

Make sure you have installed it and make sure that you have authorized it to load:

https://mhsecure.com/faq/index.php?action=artikel&cat=1& amp;id=342
Re: Computer doesn't recognize MH Link [message #86996 is a reply to message #86995] Sun, 24 February 2019 19:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Did the trick, thank you!
Re: Computer doesn't recognize MH Link [message #87008 is a reply to message #86995] Tue, 26 February 2019 21:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Off topic, but does the MIDI I/O functionality not work over Link connection? Was working for me over USB, but no longer.
Re: Computer doesn't recognize MH Link [message #87009 is a reply to message #87008] Tue, 26 February 2019 23:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It currently only works over USB; we still need to add transport support to MHLink for the MIDI.
Re: Computer doesn't recognize MH Link [message #87789 is a reply to message #87009] Thu, 19 November 2020 15:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Swine is currently offline  Swine
Bump to the top. I'm running Mojave 10.14.6 and MIOConsole 3d

Console : 6.0.0 [6020]
Driver : <Not Loaded>
BuildTag : beta_3d/pb10-138-g9a87e2d9d

MHLink driver won't install at all. I've followed all of the instructions in this thread and gave my system permissions and restarted multiple times. USB-C is working fine. I noticed on the latest Build the MHLink driver was supposed to be version 2.1.01 but mine keeps trying to install 2.1.0. Could it be related to that?

I can dual boot into OSX 10.9 as well and MHLink is working fine on Mavericks so I don't think it's a hardware issue with my ULN-8. Any thoughts?
Re: Computer doesn't recognize MH Link [message #87790 is a reply to message #87789] Thu, 19 November 2020 17:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Swine wrote on Thu, 19 November 2020 15:44
Bump to the top. I'm running Mojave 10.14.6 and MIOConsole 3d

Console : 6.0.0 [6020]

MHLink driver won't install at all. I've followed all of the instructions in this thread and gave my system permissions and restarted multiple times. USB-C is working fine. I noticed on the latest Build the MHLink driver was supposed to be version 2.1.01 but mine keeps trying to install 2.1.0. Could it be related to that?

I can dual boot into OSX 10.9 as well and MHLink is working fine on Mavericks so I don't think it's a hardware issue with my ULN-8. Any thoughts?

You don't have it authorized to load. Did you follow the steps in the FAQ? Were you shown the "Allow" button in the "Security & Privacy" System Prefs Pane?

You can try to manually load the driver using the following command in the Terminal:

sudo kextload /Library/Extensions/MHLinkDriver.kext

(enter your password when prompted, followed by the <return> key)

You should get an error, but they you should also be able to Allow the driver to load using the UI in the "Security & Privacy" System Prefs Pane.

If that still doesn't work, you can try clearing the kext cache:

sudo kextcache -clear-staging
sudo kextcache -i /

(again, enter your password when prompted)

You should get an error after the kextload, but then you should also be able to Allow the driver to load using the UI in the "Security & Privacy" System Prefs Pane.

And just to be clear - none of this has anything to do with the MHLinkDriver - it is all triggered by bugs in Apple's security code.

Re: Computer doesn't recognize MH Link [message #87791 is a reply to message #87790] Thu, 19 November 2020 22:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks bj. I did initially follow the steps in FAQ. It prompted me to allow the driver/developer and I did in the Security and Privacy UI.

I tried forcing the load with Terminal via your instructions. No luck. I dumped the cache per your instructions and got errors. This one in particular after "sudo kextcache -i /"

Kext rejected due to system policy: <OSKext 0x7fc92e3e07b0 [0x7fffa809f8f0]> { URL = " file:///Library/StagedExtensions/Library/Extensions/MHLinkDr iver.kext/", ID = "com.mhlabs.kext.MHLinkEnetFilter" }

You didn't mention an error after that step. I'm wondering what is going on. Sorry, I'm kind of a Terminal noob so far out of college at this point. I also tried to just manually remove the kext file with "rm -rf /<my system>/Library/Extensions/MHLinkDriver.kext" but I'm getting a "Unable to determine realpath" error.

When I get into the UI for Security & Privacy I don't see anything to allow the driver at all. The system doesn't even recognize that it's sitting there (it IS there in the Library/Extensions folder). And, in System Information it's under "Disabled Software" as

X7EY8SFM86 - com.mhlabs.kext.MHLinkEnetFilter:

Version: 2.1.00
Reason: No User Consent
Date Disabled: Unknown

I just want to delete it at this point and do an install again but I can't even get it to do that apparently.

Finally, apologies, I didn't mean to imply anything is wrong with the driver. I definitely know that it's OSX's dumb security bugs doing this, I just thought for some reason that the version I have, 2.1.0, may be an iteration too old or something. Mostly wishful thinking on my part with a dose of hopeful confirmation bias. I really want to try and get this fixed without doing a reinstall of Mojave.
Re: Computer doesn't recognize MH Link [message #87792 is a reply to message #87791] Thu, 19 November 2020 23:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No, I just think you are hitting one of the weird corner cases that the OS gets into. It seems like one in 100 customers or so hits something like this.

Try the following:

In the Finder, go to /Library/Extensions (you can do <command><shift>G and paste in that path).

You should see the MHLinkDriver.kext in that folder.

Trash it. (Finder will ask your for your password). Then in the terminal:

sudo kextcache -i /

reboot.

Then reinstall the driver. See if it asks you to allow it to load. If not, do

and see if it lets you to allow it to load (in the System Preferences > Security & Privacy).

Hopefully, you will be able to get it to be allowed and load. If not there are more extreme things we can do to set the system policy, but its more complicated.

Also - I didn't think you were implying an issue with the driver; I just wanted to make it clear to anyone that comes across this that this issue is not a driver issue - its a macOS issue.

[Updated on: Thu, 19 November 2020 23:15]

Re: Computer doesn't recognize MH Link [message #87793 is a reply to message #87792] Thu, 19 November 2020 23:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bj, again, thanks so much for the help. I got it working just now, get this...(caveat emptor: I really don't know exactly why this worked because I don't totally understand the system file structure)

I manually copied the kext file from "<MyDrive>/System/Library/Extensions" to "<MyDrive>/Library/Extensions"

Then I re-ran the installer. The driver still wasn't showing in the MioConsole BUT the driver disappeared from the Disabled Software list in System Information and the popup in the Security & Privacy UI came back and I allowed it again. Still nothing in MioConsole (not surprising) so I rebooted and voile, MHLinkDriver 2.1.00 is showing in MioConsole and there is still nothing in the Disabled Software list.

Again, I don't get it. But I really appreciate you putting me down the right path of exploration. Hopefully someone finds my little journey here useful!

Re: Computer doesn't recognize MH Link [message #87794 is a reply to message #87793] Thu, 19 November 2020 23:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Glad to hear you made it through the gauntlet. Sorry that it was so difficult...
Re: Computer doesn't recognize MH Link [message #87829 is a reply to message #86990] Tue, 29 December 2020 17:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
moris is currently offline  moris
Hi,
Just did exactly the same things as Swine, but didn't get the allow button to show and stil have
X7EY8SFM86 - com.mhlabs.kext.MHLinkEnetFilter :

Version : 2.1.00
Raison : No User Consent
Date de désactivation : Unknown

Apple M1, macOS11.1

Don't know how to solve this
any idea?
Re: Computer doesn't recognize MH Link [message #87832 is a reply to message #87829] Wed, 30 December 2020 07:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
info@kk-studios.net is currently offline  info@kk-studios.net
THX BJ for your help it is working now!
Re: Computer doesn't recognize MH Link [message #87834 is a reply to message #87829] Wed, 30 December 2020 20:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
moris wrote on Tue, 29 December 2020 17:47
Hi,
Just did exactly the same things as Swine, but didn't get the allow button to show and stil have
X7EY8SFM86 - com.mhlabs.kext.MHLinkEnetFilter :

Version : 2.1.00
Raison : No User Consent
Date de désactivation : Unknown

Apple M1, macOS11.1

Don't know how to solve this
any idea?

Maybe M1 and Big Sur is adding an extra layer of protection somewhere? I'm curious if you've gotten this to work because I'm contemplating getting an M1 computer. However, I'm sure others have it working with OS 11.1 so... man, these new software safety protocols Apple incorporated seem to be glitchy.

[Updated on: Wed, 30 December 2020 20:33]

Re: Computer doesn't recognize MH Link [message #87835 is a reply to message #87834] Thu, 31 December 2020 05:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
moris is currently offline  moris
Thanks to the support, a new driver for m1 chip made it work.

I searched a lot and didn't find any way to submit a new approbation for an application in 'quarantine'.
There are some questions about this on the apple dev forum but no answers...

Thank you MH for your reactivity
Nico
Re: Computer doesn't recognize MH Link [message #87838 is a reply to message #87835] Fri, 01 January 2021 18:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ANTG is currently offline  ANTG
Hi
I have identical problem as Swine reported on 19th Nov 2020
I have Console 6.0.0 [6020]
Running MacOS Mojava 10.14.6 (18G7016) on MacPro 5.1
I have followed all instructions from BJ as per 19/20 of Nov posts (several times) but never got any prompts from Security and Privacy UI and have not been able to load the driver.
Are there any further steps I can take to load the driver without reinstalling Mojava?

Thanks
Antony

Re: Computer doesn't recognize MH Link [message #87841 is a reply to message #87838] Sat, 02 January 2021 03:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You can try the following command in the terminal:

type your password followed by the return key when prompted

This will attempt to manually load the driver, and may allow you to allow it to load in the security prefs panel (you may not get the prompt).

If there is a different error message other than something to the effect of "can't load due to policy" then you can copy and paste the error message here and we can see what the next steps wshould be.
Re: Computer doesn't recognize MH Link [message #87843 is a reply to message #87841] Sat, 02 January 2021 05:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi bj

Thanks for your reply so early in the New Year.!

I have tried "sudo kextload /Library/Extensions/MHLinkDriver.kext" this morning still with no sucess, and it is not visible in the Security and privacy UI.

The error message appears to be what you anticipated.

/Library/Extensions/MHLinkDriver.kext failed to load - (libkern/kext) system policy prevents loading; check the system/kernel logs for errors or try kextutil(Cool."

Yesterday I went through all the suggestions in the forum discussion from the 19/20/21 Nov from yourself and Swine, including.

sudo kextcache -i /

I tried this again now and this is the error message.

--------- sudo kextcache -clear-staging
--------- sudo kextcache -i /
kext file:///private/var/db/KernelExtensionManagement/Staging/tmp .TC39m1/94342986-E66C-47D1-BDB5-A8FD7CE72349.kext/ is in hash exception list, allowing to load
kext file:///private/var/db/KernelExtensionManagement/Staging/tmp .wohdgp/FFCFC8F9-6726-47F4-A0DC-623638985B19.kext/ is in hash exception list, allowing to load
kext file:///private/var/db/KernelExtensionManagement/Staging/tmp .f0AFZC/E854D6F4-D00E-43B7-869B-A74DCF5C670D.kext/ is in hash exception list, allowing to load
Untrusted kexts are not allowed
Kext with invalid signature (-67030) denied: /private/var/db/KernelExtensionManagement/Staging/tmp.3LN0dx /39195430-A63D-4654-80DA-7CA68C6A2FDE.kext
Bundle (/Library/Extensions/NVDAStartupWeb.kext) failed to validate, deleting: /private/var/db/KernelExtensionManagement/Staging/tmp.3LN0dx /39195430-A63D-4654-80DA-7CA68C6A2FDE.kext
Unable to stage kext (/Library/Extensions/NVDAStartupWeb.kext) to secure location.
/private/var/db/KernelExtensionManagement/Staging/tmp.f0eKyo /B52BA969-2FED-4E92-9241-65C5F3842BD8.kext does not appear in strict exception list for architecture: x86_64
Kext with invalid signature (-67007) denied: /private/var/db/KernelExtensionManagement/Staging/tmp.f0eKyo /B52BA969-2FED-4E92-9241-65C5F3842BD8.kext
Bundle (/Library/Extensions/BJUSBLoad.kext) failed to validate, deleting: /private/var/db/KernelExtensionManagement/Staging/tmp.f0eKyo /B52BA969-2FED-4E92-9241-65C5F3842BD8.kext
Unable to stage kext (/Library/Extensions/BJUSBLoad.kext) to secure location.
Kext with invalid signature (-67030) denied: /private/var/db/KernelExtensionManagement/Staging/tmp.avl4lo /1356F11D-3DB7-4E1F-961A-6CFE53CD7CD8.kext
Bundle (/Library/Extensions/NVDAStartupWeb.kext) failed to validate, deleting: /private/var/db/KernelExtensionManagement/Staging/tmp.avl4lo /1356F11D-3DB7-4E1F-961A-6CFE53CD7CD8.kext
Unable to stage kext (/Library/Extensions/NVDAStartupWeb.kext) to secure location.
/private/var/db/KernelExtensionManagement/Staging/tmp.YQlbvg /24507FAE-BDE1-432C-B7FC-FC43398A6C9A.kext does not appear in strict exception list for architecture: x86_64
Kext with invalid signature (-67007) denied: /private/var/db/KernelExtensionManagement/Staging/tmp.YQlbvg /24507FAE-BDE1-432C-B7FC-FC43398A6C9A.kext
Bundle (/Library/Extensions/BJUSBLoad.kext) failed to validate, deleting: /private/var/db/KernelExtensionManagement/Staging/tmp.YQlbvg /24507FAE-BDE1-432C-B7FC-FC43398A6C9A.kext

I assume I have a major permissions issue with Mojave which was only installed a week ago from High Sierra, and driver was working without issue until yesterday. PRAM was reset a few days ago but I am sure the driver was still working after that.
I am in the position that I can reinstall Mojava if that is a more time efficient method. I intend to move to Catalina soon but wanted to be sure everything still works in Mojava as a fallback.

Many thanks
Antony
Re: Computer doesn't recognize MH Link [message #87844 is a reply to message #87843] Sat, 02 January 2021 05:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ANTG wrote on Sat, 02 January 2021 05:04

/Library/Extensions/MHLinkDriver.kext failed to load - (libkern/kext) system policy prevents loading; check the system/kernel logs for errors or try kextutil(Cool."

That error message means that the user has not allowed the driver to load. The Allow button should be showing up in the Security Pane of the System prefs when you get that message; if the Allow button is not showing up, and the other things you tried don't resolve the issue, it may be best to try to reinstall Mojave.

Unfortunately, this user approved driver loading stuff is not documented, changes with each OS release and as you have encountered, has weird bugs in the OS implementation. The foregoing makes it very hard for us to help when the system gets into this state.

You could try the following command:

sudo kextutil -tv 2 /Library/Extensions/MHLinkDriver.kext

to see if it provides any more information about why the OS is refusing to load the driver...
Re: Computer doesn't recognize MH Link [message #87845 is a reply to message #87844] Sat, 02 January 2021 06:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi bj
Thanks for your reply.

After putting in
sudo kextutil -tv 2 /Library/Extensions/MHLinkDriver.kext
I get

Defaulting to kernel file '/System/Library/Kernels/kernel'
Kext with invalid signature (-67030) denied: /private/var/db/KernelExtensionManagement/Staging/tmp.1Db424 /E25B8C63-085D-43D6-8B57-99F0A42E419D.kext
Bundle (/Library/Extensions/NVDAStartupWeb.kext) failed to validate, deleting: /private/var/db/KernelExtensionManagement/Staging/tmp.1Db424 /E25B8C63-085D-43D6-8B57-99F0A42E419D.kext
/private/var/db/KernelExtensionManagement/Staging/tmp.J55RGS /21CE9BBA-D551-4F57-AF88-CFB5090869FE.kext does not appear in strict exception list for architecture: x86_64
Kext with invalid signature (-67007) denied: /private/var/db/KernelExtensionManagement/Staging/tmp.J55RGS /21CE9BBA-D551-4F57-AF88-CFB5090869FE.kext
Bundle (/Library/Extensions/BJUSBLoad.kext) failed to validate, deleting: /private/var/db/KernelExtensionManagement/Staging/tmp.J55RGS /21CE9BBA-D551-4F57-AF88-CFB5090869FE.kext
Kext rejected due to system policy: <OSKext 0x7feb46429750 [0x7fff8c00f8f0]> { URL = " file:///Library/StagedExtensions/Library/Extensions/MHLinkDr iver.kext/", ID = "com.mhlabs.kext.MHLinkEnetFilter" }
Kext rejected due to system policy: <OSKext 0x7feb46429750 [0x7fff8c00f8f0]> { URL = " file:///Library/StagedExtensions/Library/Extensions/MHLinkDr iver.kext/", ID = "com.mhlabs.kext.MHLinkEnetFilter" }
Diagnostics for /Library/Extensions/MHLinkDriver.kext:

Looks like a re-install of Mojava is unavoidable but I have time at the moment. Do you suggest a clean reinstall or one over the top of the this present one.

thanks
Antony
Re: Computer doesn't recognize MH Link [message #87886 is a reply to message #87845] Fri, 29 January 2021 08:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
shubharora734 is currently offline  shubharora734
Re: Computer doesn't recognize MH Link [message #87887 is a reply to message #87886] Fri, 29 January 2021 11:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It is almost certainly the case that you have not provided the User Authorization for the driver to load (or the system didn't prompt you for it). Going back to the beginning of this thread, you need to follow the steps in:

https://mhsecure.com/faq/index.php?action=artikel&id=342
Re: Computer doesn't recognize MH Link [message #88006 is a reply to message #87835] Sun, 16 May 2021 16:50 Go to previous message
Filippo is currently offline  Filippo
Hi everyone,
I have the same problem as Moris on MacMini M1. MIO Console (v.pb10-138) is not recognized as native (universal) app but as an intel one, don't know if this could be related to the issue.
Any advice about this?

Thx!

MacMini M1, Logic, 2x ULN8 3d

[Updated on: Sun, 16 May 2021 17:28]

Previous Topic: Apple M1 Chip
Next Topic: Problems that occur when connecting via USB
Goto Forum:

[ PDF ]

Current Time: Sun Jun 13 13:57:02 EDT 2021