Metric Halo Discussion Forum
The place to talk MH!

Home   Search      Help    Register    Login
Home » Hardware » +DSP » Using +DSP Parallel Limiter (General settings to catch overs and hold?)
Using +DSP Parallel Limiter [message #85585] Tue, 04 December 2012 14:55
mb25976 is currently offline  mb25976
Hey folks,

I recording Music Dept classical event performances at a small college in three venues - everything from piano, vocal, strings, jazz ensemble, various chamber music ensemble, and orchestra.

While I know tracking classical music with dynamics is frowned upon, clipping is not an option for only-one-take performances.

Until I felt confident with the Parallel Limiter +DSP patch, I would do a gain check with the performers at a dress rehearsal with their loudest section and/or highest note for vocalists.

I'd drop the gain down a bit to account for performers played louder during the actual performance.

Record each mic (matched pair of Neumann M150 tube - omni) at unity, then sum to stereo, mix and master in the studio as per usual. I know the heresy of doing all three, but event frequency and budget demand it.

I'd like to be getting a better signal-to-noise but avoid clipping - thus my desire to incorporate a very soft limiter.

I tested it at a dress rehearsal and the settings I used didn't create any overs, so I decided to try it out the next night.

I ended up having a few overs and realized my limiter settings (most likely Release time) must not be correct.

I know settings for most dynamics are program dependent, so input might be general instead of specific.

Thanks much,

Matt Bielejeski
Media Instructional Technologist
Davidson College

Previous Topic: Reselling +DSP License ?
Next Topic: Using Mobile I/O as Bass or Guitar Preamp/DI replacement?
Goto Forum:

[ PDF ]

Current Time: Sat Jul 11 19:42:30 EDT 2020