Metric Halo Discussion Forum
The place to talk MH!

Home   Search      Help    Register    Login
Home » Hardware » Interfaces » ULN-8 Mk IV questions
ULN-8 Mk IV questions [message #88141] Thu, 28 October 2021 16:55 Go to next message
tompisa is currently offline  tompisa
Hello,
I have a question about the new ULN-8 MkIV. What exactly is different here compared to a ULN-8 3 and could this be described a little more specifically ?
I'm currently about to buy another (used) ULN-8, however after reading the MH news this week I'm of course also curious about the new MkIV . Therefore I am caught in the middle concering my plan to buy a used ULN-8 3D. I simply don´t know if it's worth waiting for the MkIV or just buying the used 3D one. Introductory price for the MkIV looks pretty attractive but I don´t know how long I would need to wait before I can get an MkIV here in Europe.
@BJ can you please give some more technical details ? I would be most interested to hear about preamp section and ,I wouldn´t expect so , if you made converters related changes to the ADDA sections. Appreciate your help
Re: ULN-8 Mk IV questions [message #88142 is a reply to message #88141] Thu, 28 October 2021 17:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bj is currently offline  bj
The mkIV has a new analog board; this is the line level section, the outputs, sends, A/D, D/A and headphones.

In addition, the mkIV includes a relay mute for all the analog outputs (which is helpful if you are using the unit as a Monitor Controller). We will make a separate mute upgrade available for existing ULN-8 3d and LIO-8 3d units as soon as the next run of mute boards is available.

The Mic Pres are unchanged from the ULN-8 3d.
The 3d Card is unchanged from the previous 3d units.

The new analog board uses substantially less power, has lower converter latency, and the analog levels are fully calibrated out of the box on the mkIV (this requires some trimming on the previous generation).

There will be a an upgrade from the previous generation units to mkIV in the future, when we have the next production run of boards in stock.

Hope this helps!
Re: ULN-8 Mk IV questions [message #88143 is a reply to message #88142] Thu, 28 October 2021 17:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bj is currently offline  bj
Just to clarify:

The A/D converters and the D/A converters as well as the surrounding analog support circuits are all new.
Re: ULN-8 Mk IV questions [message #88144 is a reply to message #88143] Thu, 28 October 2021 17:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thanks BJ, this is very very helpful 👍 And it's wonderful to hear that we ULN8 and LIO8 users can even upgrade the new boards later next year.
And can you tell maybe which AKMs or Cirrus Logics or other converters were chosen for the new AD and DAC sections ? I would love to know.
Re: ULN-8 Mk IV questions [message #88168 is a reply to message #88144] Sat, 27 November 2021 18:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
WillGorlander is currently offline  WillGorlander
It would be great if someone could do an A/B recording of both units to hear the difference with the new MKIV. Smile
Re: ULN-8 Mk IV questions [message #88201 is a reply to message #88168] Thu, 27 January 2022 05:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Marzio is currently offline  Marzio
@bj what about SCP (usb i/o sidecar)? Will just be working on the new IV ones?
Is this feature already implemented on the standard 3D interfaces or is the upgrade you wrote above needed to get this in the future?
Re: ULN-8 Mk IV questions [message #88220 is a reply to message #88201] Sun, 13 February 2022 17:33 Go to previous message
@BJ , quick question,
are the powersupplies of original 2D/3D ULN-8 compatible with the new MKIV ?

[Updated on: Fri, 25 February 2022 17:45]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic: ULN-8 3D MIDI not working
Next Topic: Missing 2D Opto Board
Goto Forum:

[ PDF ]

Current Time: Sat May 28 16:12:32 EDT 2022