Metric Halo Discussion Forum
The place to talk MH!

Home   Search      Help    Register    Login
Today's Messages (off)  | Unanswered Messages (on)

Forum: MIOConsole
 Topic: iPad report & MIDI suggestion
iPad report & MIDI suggestion [message #87932] Sat, 06 March 2021 19:29
TAMAN is currently offline  TAMAN
Hi, (sorry but I can't post links until I have posted 300 messages Laughing )

- Informative iPad comparison chart

Quote:
.. studiolivetoday.files.wordpress.com/2020/09/studio-live-toda y-ipad-buyers-guide-v2.4.pdf

- iOS 14 supported iPad models Quote:
.. support.apple.com/guide/ipad/supported-models-ipad213a25b2/i pados

I have a new iPad Air 4 (2020) with USB-C connection and tried to connect it directly to the ULN8 but it only works with a "Camera Connection Kit".
For USB-C iPads basically all USB-C Hubs that provide an HDMI Output should do the job. Quote:
.. www.imore.com/best-usb-c-hubs-ipad-pro

Apples USB‑C Digital AV Multiport Adapter works for sure.

Quote:
.. www.apple.com/shop/product/MUF82AM/A/usb-c-digital-av-multip ort-adapter?fnode=2e7878b4704985e628074d310c5a35bb28133b313c 22c018168c7ed180e0e727bf03f9cfd1956069ed0dd23a808b5d58940599 25aefffeb38fe41c49f138c40bdd3af4eb3fc632233dc737467de360768d 2f4679be092047933082faa5d1813c

Connecting an iPad to a MH 3d interface opens 2 further questions: Power & Midi
MH Interfaces don't provide power over USB but with Apples AV Adapter you got an USB-C port to charge an iPad. Quote:
.. store.storeimages.cdn-apple.com/4982/as-images.apple.com/is/ MUF82_AV2?wid=1144&hei=1144&fmt=jpeg&qlt=95& op_usm=0.5%2C0.5&.v=1590526638000

The iPad Air 4 also provides an "all day battery". Quote:
.. www.tomsguide.com/reviews/ipad-air-4-2020

MH 3d Interfaces only provide Midi for Control Surfaces. The MH Support recommends the free AvidControl for iOS.Quote:
.. www.avid.com/de/products/avid-control

If you want to send Midi from your DAW to an iPad Synth, Drummachine and record it over a MH 3d Interface you got a problem since Midi can't be passed over MH Link to USB. I don't know if it's technically possible to provide a virtual "MIO Midi Device" that can send and receive Midi Messages to pass it from MH Link to connected USB Devices and vice versa but it would make things easier.

It seems that there is a workaround cause you can connect an USB-C Hub to the AV Adapter, plugin in an audio interface into the ports of the HUB and a Hardware Midi Device as well.
In my setup I also use a Midi Interface, the iConnectMidi4+ and plan to plugin in one of it's USB Jacks to the iPad HUB connected and see if it works.

iConnectivity is a veteran company when it comes to using one interface with multiple hosts/ computers/ iOS Devices.

Quote:
Not only does iConnectMIDI4+ support three computer devices simultaneously - Macs, PCs, and iOS (iPad, iPhone, iPod touch) - its Audio passThru™ technology routes audio between them digitally with zero signal degradation, simply appearing as an audio interface to the operating systems.

iConnectMIDI4+ has been discontinued but you can get them used for about 160 bucks. I can fully recommend this interface and like to call it my Midi Metric Halo. The newer iConnectivity Midi Interfaces don't provide the Audio passThru™ technology anymore and their new audio interface is designed for live usage and redundancy / failover protection - DJ Stuff.

You can connect two iOS devices to a iConnectMIDI4+ and it shows up as an audio Interface in the DAW but you can't monitor the sound. Only over a DAW.
In Ableton it's not a problem cause you can send a midi Sequence over a Midi Track to the connected iPad while you monitor the synth through an audio track but in Logic for example it's not so easy cause the Audio Tracks must be record enabled for monitoring and when you play a midi sequence Logic immediately starts recording audio.

When an iPad is connected to MH 3d interfaces monitoring ain't an issue but sending Midi.
How do you solve this? Over Bluetooth or WiFi?

What are your experiences?

Greetings
Forum: SpectraFoo
 Topic: Suggestion SpectraFoo X for M1 <> iPad
Suggestion SpectraFoo X for M1 <> iPad [message #87931] Fri, 05 March 2021 07:56
TAMAN is currently offline  TAMAN
Hi,

since macOS and iPadOS are merging, iPad Apps run on macOS Big Sur, and the 3d Cards offer iOS support I think it would make sense to develope a Spectra Foo App for iPad.
The new iPads should provide enough CPU power and Graphics to run Spectra Foo.

Good idea?

Current Time: Mon Mar 08 13:28:12 EST 2021